Pages

November 17, 2008

All Hail Claycord.com! And everyone, per Claycord.com’s recommendation who read www.crazyinsuburbia.blogspot.com, and who commented

First, I want to extend a big round of applause to the Mayor of Claycord. He posted a story about my blog, http://www.crazyinsuburbia.blogspot.com/. And, over the past couple weeks, as I’ve contemplated and developed this blog, he has been very encouraging. He works incredibly hard and sacrifices a lot to maintain Claycord.com, of which I’m a big fan and of which I’ve been an occasional contributor.

The Mayor offers our central Contra Costa community an invaluable service, letting us know about things going on in our towns that mainstream publications don’t.

The Mayor cares about the community. And, most of all, he cares about free speech, and about giving all of us a place to voice our concerns and air our opinions, about what’s going on in our schools, our city councils, our parks, and our neighborhoods.

And thanks to those who posted on Claycord.com about http://www.crazyinsuburbia.blogspot.com/. Some of you liked it. Some of you didn’t. Those who didn’t like it offered good insights about why you didn’t.

Crazyinsuburbia.com is a work in progress. It may be a cliché to say that. Some readers might make assumptions about the kind of person I am. I am a working mom. And I’m a professional journalist.

As for the image you see on the About Me portion of Crazyinsuburbia, I’m hardly a fashion icon. And there are a fair number of things about my life that don't fit that stereotype of suburban, high-achieving affluence. Consequently, I have struggled with the insecurity that I don't belong in a happy, shiny place like Walnut Creek. On the other hand, I have a wonderful family. A loving husband, son, mother and extended family who live in the area.

As for this sense of not fitting this stereotype, this sense of not belonging? I confess, it's one of the things kind of drives me crazy. Hence, my blog, http://www.crazyinsuburbia.blogspot.com/.

Then again I do belong here. I was born here, graduated from local public elementary, middle, and high schools. Now, I work here, and am living life with my family.

So, I belong. Yet, not. I have a feeling I’m not the only one around here who feels like this. Belonging. Yet not. And that I’m not the only one who sometimes feels a bit—well—crazy about this sense of not belonging, of disconnect in what is supposed to be, and what is reality is.

We’ll see where this blog goes. Feel feel free to voice what you think: apprecitation, dislike, boredom, disdain, disagreement, pure hatred.

Finally, back to the Mayor of Claycord and http://www.claycord.com/. In terms of courage and his mission and extraordinary hard work to uphold the honor of free speech and the spirt of community participation, he’s my hero.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I am addicted to claycord but I can also see myself getting addicted to your blog too.Good work so far I like it!

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a facebook link on this blog...